Monday, November 21, 2005

Some Sites...

I was reading Scott Spendolini’s blog about this thing called the “Konfabulator”.  Seems pretty neat so far.  Howard Rogers was commenting there he found it intrusive and CPU consumptive.  It doesn’t seem to graphically intrusive to me so far and the CPU use is fairly low on my machine – so I’m giving it a try.  Like Scott – I have ample RAM (2gig) and plenty of screen real estate (1650x1080 and 1600x1200 side by side).  I’ve been wanting a network monitor like xnetload from Unix land for windows for a while – and Konfabulator  has some.  Also, the volume control widget is nice.  I’ll see how it goes.

Another interesting site I stumbled upon reading another blog entry is Technorati.  It indexes blogs only – I’ve found the google blog indexing to be a bit “flaky” (many times I cannot find my own postings using google for some reason).  Technorati seems pretty comprehensive in its index.  Found a couple more blogs I didn’t know about.

Lastly, another way to waste time and bandwidth is the flickr interesting pictures page.  Just be careful about who can see your monitor before you click it.  Sometimes (not often) there can be some pictures not appropriate for…. Well, you know what I mean.  Mostly, they are just interesting pictures.


Anonymous Rob H said....

I love widgets, I have several on my home computer (Macs have something called Dashboard).

FoxScoreStrip, Google, GoogleMaps, Canada411, wikipedia and I'm personally working on a Ora error and Oracle doc lookup like the firefox search engine addon

Mon Nov 21, 12:11:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Tom Fox said....

I used Konfabulator on my iMac back in the 10.3 days. It consumed way too many resources. I assume this is due to it being all Java, but it may be that Mac/java/lots of widgets don't mix well together.

The Dashboard in 10.4 is better, but I still don't like unnecessary items updating when I don't need them. Basically, I like my CPU to be free on my desktop machine.

Maybe someday I'll get a new Mac, but only if they get cheaper. I spent $2000 on my iMac, and thank goodness it has been a great machine so far. I dread having to spend that much cash on another machine.

Mon Nov 21, 01:26:00 PM EST  

Blogger Howard J. Rogers said....

Like Scott – I have ample RAM (2gig) and plenty of screen real estate (1650x1080 and 1600x1200 side by side).

Well, that would explain it then. Unlike Scott and yourself, I have only 512MB of RAM and my Thinkpad runs at only 1024x768 (a common enough configuration, I'd say). I haven't uninstalled Konfabulator from my desktop at home, which is a much more capable beast (at least I think it is... it's been so long since I've been at home, I sometimes forget!)

Mon Nov 21, 02:10:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I ran 14 widgets and they consumed around 80-90MB memory. The second problem is that all Konfabulator widgets are shown as running applications in task manager. This might lead to incorrect versions of dlls if any new programs are installed while Konfabulator is running. There is increased CPU utilization also. Most widgets do not produce CPU load by themselves, but ran together, the CPU load was seesawing between 4% to 17%. There was one widget Bandwidth_graph, which alone caused CPU usage to shoot up to 50%.

Mon Nov 21, 10:44:00 PM EST  

Blogger kamus said....

I think if Konfabulator for windows cannot change to thread mode , it will never become a popular software in windows world. so many process make me sick. really a huge resource consumer.

Sat Nov 26, 03:35:00 AM EST  


<< Home