Monday, October 31, 2005


Just finished the UKOUG day 1.  I did two presentations – one on SQL Techniques and a stand in for a friend who became ill (on flashback query).  The attendance this year looks pretty good – crowds are “big” but not too big.  

This morning started out “not good” as the power in the city of Birmingham went out.  First for a half hour in the hotel (from about 8am to 8:30am) and then again for another half hour or so when in the convention center from 9:30 to 10am – that got the conference off to a late start but things got back on track after that.  I started about 40 minutes late – to a pretty good crowd after the keynotes in the morning.

The rest of the day went pretty smooth though.  I got to see most of the presentations I wanted to – but due to a last minute fill in, I missed Connor McDonalds talk.  I’ll get the slides from him.  

Just on my way out the door at 9pm for the bloggers dinner (had to stop back and get my camera…) 9pm is about 4 hours late for my dinner – hungry describes me now…

Blogs I read – has been restored on the sidebar…


Anonymous Sean said....

Hi Tom
I noticed on your blog that you will be in Ireland after the UK OUG. Will you have any spare time there? I am originally from Northern Ireland (in the US now) and would be happy to make some suggestions

Mon Oct 31, 04:10:00 PM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom - are you a fast reader? Didn't you say you read "Blink" in about an hour plane ride?

Mon Oct 31, 10:49:00 PM EST  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I will be in Belfast on Thursday for the day and Dublin on Friday for the day and boarding a plane at 6:45am on Saturday morning to get back home :)

As for blink, it was a round trip flight from Washington DC to New Orleans...

Altas Shrugged - almost done. That one is taking a while longer than most. But yes, I read fairly fast - not a speed reader or anything but pretty fast.

Tue Nov 01, 02:25:00 AM EST  

Blogger Rachel said....

Considering that Atlas Shrugged is something like 1100 pages, I would expect it to take you a bit longer to finish. I do speedread (fiction at least) and it takes me time!

I'm very interested in your reactions to it. I know it's very "black and white" when it comes to the characters (they are either all good or all bad) but there were still some things in it that resonated with me.

And more importantly.... who won the fight to introduce Lisa?

Tue Nov 01, 06:15:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I did not realize one could become ill on a flashback query. I hope he/she was near a restroom.

Tue Nov 01, 07:35:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Maybe they did too much ACID in the sixties?

Tue Nov 01, 08:56:00 AM EST  

Anonymous Meelis said....

I was attending all your presentations in the conference, they were absolutely marvellous. As for that flashback presentation, I think that Mogens gave some good introduction :)

And I got you to sign to Oracle magazine.. to a wrong article as I later discovered (not Ask Tom as I intended).. damn :-) My newly met friend Mark later said that it will be higly valuable in the future - Tom's autograph on Sean Dillon's article :)

Fri Nov 04, 09:58:00 AM EST  


<< Home