Friday, October 28, 2005

One week down, one more to go...

Done for the week.  Five days in a row – morning to night, talking.  Doing the seminar thing.  I got to meet well over 100 people this week and it was pretty good.  Made some new friends, met lots of really good people – ate too much good food.

I can say the nicest thing you can say to someone after they’ve been talking to you for 2 or 3 days is “Thanks, you made it interesting – and I learned some things”.  I got some of that after both seminars and that really makes the whole thing worthwhile.  That is the entire goal.  I don’t know who has the harder job – me standing and talking for 2/3 days or them – sitting there and taking it.  I really think they do and I try to make it as fun/interesting as possible (I want them to come back after lunch!).  At least I know I probably won’t fall asleep – they have to work at it.  

Sometimes when doing these talks in countries where English is the second language – I’m not sure if I’m making sense or not.  I get fewer questions than normal during the talk, mostly I think because the translators in their heads are going full steam.  Most of the questions I get are during the breaks.  What I try to do is save them up and start right after the break with “Well, the questions I got were….” just so the rest of the room gets the benefits of the answers (if one person had the question – undoubtedly someone else must have had the same question).

Now, I’m looking forward to the UKOUG.  I get to attend some talks…  Since others have published their agenda, here is my tentative one – hoping events won’t take me away from it:

Monday
11:05-12:05 – SQL Techniques (that is a definite, I’m giving it)

13:05-13:50 - Getting Started: Introducing JDeveloper 10.1.3 IDE Sue Harper – Oracle.  I’ve known Sue for a long time – I’ve never seen her give a talk yet.  I know this will be good (looking for presentation style techniques I can steal…)

14:00 - 14:45 Oracle HTML DB New Features / Access Migrations / Project Raptor, Donal Daly – Oracle.  I want to see Raptor again…  That and I talked Donal into coming!

15:10 - 15:55 Flash me back, Scotty; Lex de Haan - Natural Join BV.  I really like Lex’s presentation style.

15:55 - 16:55 10g - the G stands for Goodies, Connor McDonald – Fujitsu;  Connor is talking – what more needs be said.  Even if it isn’t good – it’ll be funny…

17:20 - 18:05 Oracle9i: Understanding Automatic Undo Management And Flashback Query; Kirtikumar Deshpande - Verizon Information Services.  Another person I’ve known for a long time but haven’t seen present….

Tuesday
     

09:00 - 09:45 Performance from a Different Perspective; Mogens Nørgaard - Miracle A/S.  This will probably be a very good presentation.  Mogens is nothing if not entertaining and every once in a while – I learn something (he hides his smarts with humor).

09:55 - 10:40 Forgotten Features;  Julian Dyke -  Read the abstract.  How could you not go.  I remember Connor doing a similar presentation for 9i at the Hotsos symposium.  Funniest thing happened – he described a feature, I take notes and say “cool, I like that”.  Then Connor points to me and say “and Tom told me about it” – I had completely forgotten about it entirely.  I’m hoping I get to see what I saw and remember it all over again here.

11:10 - 11:55 Help! I'm a Newbie! Lisa Dobson - One NorthEast.  I helped to push her into this situation, I want to see how it all turns out.

13:40 - 14:25 What Are You Expecting? - Oracle 10g's Expression Filter Uncovered; Melanie Caffrey - Proximo Consulting Services, Inc.  I like Melanie’s presentation style and frankly, I haven’t looked very much at this feature.  I curious what she has to say…

15:10 - 16:10 Sifting through the ASHes: Performance Analysis with the Oracle 10g Active Session History; Graham Wood - Oracle Corporation.  No one, repeat no one, knows this better than Graham.

16:20 - 17:20 Performance Data Mining using ADDM & AWR; Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha - Embarcadero Technologies.  Gaja – need we say more?  Might have to skip out early though since…..

17:30 - 18:15  Keynote: Tom Kyte, Oracle (I hear he is OK, want to check it out…)


Wednesday
09:00 - 09:45 PeopleSoft: A Properly Instrumented Application? David Kurtz - Go-Faster Consultancy.  Yeah, I know “why am I going to an apps presentation”.  Two reasons – I want to see David present (another person I’ve known for a while, but haven’t been able to see) and I love code instrumentation – so I’m curious what they did.

10:25 - 11:25 All About Binding.  Thomas Kyte – Oracle. (I sort of have to be at this one)

13:20 - 14:05 Development Tools  Panel Session – (I’m on the panel, best be there….)

and then I catch a flight to Dublin…..

POST A COMMENT

8 Comments:

Anonymous Paul said....

Tom - hope you enjoy the trip to England!

Fri Oct 28, 12:57:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

If you want more questions from non-native speakers - consider encouraging written questions (on leaflets handed to you during breaks, as emails to your email address, etc).

We non-native speakers normally use English in the written form everyday (reading docs, books, participating in forums, etc), but rarely speak in English, so we're less self-confident in our spoken proficiency; that and the normal anxiety of approaching a worldwide-known personality, make for a much-higher-than-usual barrier between you and your audience.

But make it clear that you prefer verbal questions, otherwise that could be taken as "please use the written question option only"...

Fri Oct 28, 04:47:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Rachel said....

I'm jealous of your agenda, it mirrored the one I wanted to create. Since I can't be there... please let us know how Lisa did. I feel as responsible as you about her presenting, I helped with that pushing.

Fri Oct 28, 08:34:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Holger Schweichler said....

Wow, this looks like some exciting days ahead - but as you stated in an earlier post, it's not that easy to stay away from home that long (the longest business trip I ever did spanned 10 weeks, but that was already 12 years ago, and I never made it longer than 2 weeks ever since then...).

BTW - I'm missing the "Blogs I read" on the right (since this pointed me to "Creating Passionate Users" once, and I can just say thank you for that hint).

Holger

Sat Oct 29, 05:06:00 AM EDT  

Blogger shrek said....

the question is will Lias dump water on you if you sit in the front row?;-)

Sat Oct 29, 10:25:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

ditto on the blogs you read - did you take down your links to your favorite blogs for some reason?

Sat Oct 29, 11:57:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Lisa said....

To Tom and Rachel...

Please don't feel guilty or responsible for 'pushing' me into presenting.
I'm truly grateful that you did, and I thank you for your support.

Although nervous, I'm really looking forward to it. I also have the honour of introducing Lex for his 'Flash me back, Scotty' presentation and I'm really looking forward to that too.

However, Tom, it may pay you to be nervous and take Shrek's warning to heart.
Remember, there is always a glass of water on hand for the presenter!
:-)

Sat Oct 29, 05:49:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Michael Olin said....

I first noticed this entry on the blog during a NYOUG Steering Committee conference call on Friday. Since Melanie was on the call, it seemed like a good idea to let her know that her presentation was on your "attendee" agenda. Then again, maybe not, but what's done is done. If there are any water-related mishaps during Melanie's talk, you can blame them on me.

Sun Oct 30, 05:35:00 PM EST  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home