Thursday, September 15, 2005

The Book has landed

I did not think it would arrive before Oracle Open World, but it did. I got my copies of the book last night:

The Book

It is a good feeling to have the book fnished, printed and becoming generally available. The print job looks really good, the paper is thicker than Expert One on One Oracle was (less pages, thicker paper). The print is very crisp and clear - paper is very white, print very black.

They let me keep my look and feel, which differs from a normal Apress book. The code examples are black on grey which clearly sets them apart from the text itself - makes them stand out. I really like the way it looks and feels. The binding seems very secure, overall the physical book did not disappoint me at all.

They should start shipping soon.



Blogger Rjamya said....

Congratulations !! I should be ordering my copy soon.


Thu Sep 15, 10:22:00 AM EDT  

Blogger melanie caffrey said....

Congrats, Tom!

I look forward to reading it.

Thu Sep 15, 10:25:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Enayet said....

Hey Tom,
I was so excited, I almost jumped out and logged on to Amazon. But, it still says [at 10:46am EST ]:

Availability: This item has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. Ships from and sold by

Thu Sep 15, 10:47:00 AM EDT  

Blogger shrek said....

and so, Sir, where do we go to order autographed copies?;-)

Thu Sep 15, 10:48:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

It should be shipping soon - that I just got mine means the distributors are just getting theirs...

Thu Sep 15, 10:50:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Perhaps a few giveaways at NYOUG on 29 Sept during the cocktail hour/raffle might help put the word out on the street?

Thu Sep 15, 11:03:00 AM EDT  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

That's great ... just the right number and thickness of pages to balance out that old wobbly table on the deck.

Hey, just jokes!

Dammit, now I'll have to buy it to make up for that.

Thu Sep 15, 11:10:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Michael Dinh said....

Looking forward to it.

Thu Sep 15, 11:14:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Jorge Rimblas said....

So Tom, since it arrived before OpenWorld, do we get to pick up signed copies with you at San Francisco? :)

Thu Sep 15, 11:46:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

On the title is different from the one I see on the blog. Which is the right one?

Thu Sep 15, 12:00:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

pick up signed copies

Yes, in the two expert sessions I have, we'll be giving away a few copies (see asktom homepage for info on those sessions). As well we are trying to set up something else in/near the bookstore, but that isn't finalized yet.

the title is different
This is the link to Amazon for this book. Not sure which one you were looking at.

Thu Sep 15, 12:04:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Ric said....

i've placed an order for 11 of those bad boys (not all for me - i've been spreading the word to people at work and drummed up some other customers). I'm definately glad i'm not the postie delivering all those to my house :-)


Thu Sep 15, 12:22:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Fuad Arshad said....

excellent my preorder from amazon should be arriving soon then

Thu Sep 15, 12:51:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Jeff Hunter said....

I can't wait to read it.

Now if I can just cut the same deal with you that I had with Tim, (read and review on my blog for a free copy), I'd be doing OK.

Thu Sep 15, 01:10:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....


I don't mean to be nitpicky, but I know you strive for accuracy and expertise. So I thought I'd point out a couple things I've noticed after many months of reading your postings. Grammar things.

One, it's "fewer pages" not "less pages."

Two, and more frequent, when comparing something, use "than" not "then". You seem to incorrectly use the latter on often, as in "the number of extents is greater then ..."

I hope you don't take this posting as an affront, but rather as simply pointing something out I'm sure you would want to correct.

(I'm not a grammar expert by any means, so feel free to critique my own usage here!)

Thu Sep 15, 01:10:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I don't mean to be nitpicky

no worries -- I know about that then/than thing, hopefully in the last 6 to 12 months, you've seen it get "better".

I'm not going to fix the legacy material :) But I think I have a much higher hit ratio on the right word these days.

Thu Sep 15, 01:37:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Robert said....

woohoo congrats Tom !

Hmmm the color theme reminds me of this line of books.


Thu Sep 15, 01:49:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Daniel Fink said....

Excellent! Now I know what book to take with me to read during my 5 weeks of trekking and climbing in the Himalayas!

Thu Sep 15, 01:59:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I am very interested to read this, but I am wondering if I'm part of the target audience.

Our company creates web applications using mostly PL/SQL. We outsource the DB management to another company. Also, due to circumstances, most of our development is still done on Oracle 8i.

While I could see myself enjoying the book for pure "geek"-value, do you think it would contain enough useful information for someone like me?

Thu Sep 15, 02:13:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Robert said....

Daniel Fink said...
Excellent! Now I know what book to take with me to read during my 5 weeks of trekking and climbing in the Himalayas!

Woa, Are you serious ?
You are gonna lug a laptop around with you too ?

Thu Sep 15, 02:14:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I am very interested to read this, but I am wondering if I'm part of the target audience.

Well - let me say this, I firmly believe the developers need to understand HOW oracle works in order to USE it efficiently.

This is not a book about managing Oracle, this is a book that shows how Oracle works and how to find out how to do things "right".

If you are interested - suggest you goto click on some of the "we are talking about it here" links under the image of the new book -- you'll get a really good feel for what it covers.

And - it includes the entire 8i expert one on one Oracle book on pdf so -- the stuff that doesn't apply to 8i (new 9i/10g features) you can "ignore" for now - and you have the entire 8i book as well.


strongly recommend something else to read on a trip like that ;)

Thu Sep 15, 02:22:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Daniel Fink said....

I should also take Expert One on One. I can use it to step on as I climb and I am pretty certain it is heavy enough to do serious damage if I meet up with a Yeti!

Thu Sep 15, 02:33:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Scott Swank said....

So a month after placing my order I should actually get the book. You realize that you've been holding up my Dinosaur Jr and Daniel Johnston CDs.

Order Date: August 25, 2005
Order #: 104-2533628-3320738
Recipient: Scott Swank
Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: September 29, 2005

Expert Oracle Database Architecture: 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions
Songs of Pain: Early Recordings Volume 1
You're Living All Over Me

Thu Sep 15, 03:44:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Just a warning!!!
Be ready for some one star reviews from 'certain oracle experts'..... (:

Thu Sep 15, 04:14:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Noticed that it's already #1,350 in Amazon sales rank ?

I pity the poor postmans that will be on shift in Seattle the day it ships ...

Thu Sep 15, 04:28:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Robert said....

Congratulations, Tom!
I plan to go to Amazon shortly to make sure my pre-order is still there.

Thu Sep 15, 04:44:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Dan Loomis said....

Well done, Tom!

I plan to use this book in a study group here at my company...think of it as a technical book club. I can't think of a better book to review.


Thu Sep 15, 04:51:00 PM EDT  

Blogger R Menon said....

Congrats Tom!

looking forward to reading another great book!

Thu Sep 15, 05:07:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Rafique Awan said....

Congrats again, Tom!

I am looking forward to read this. I already ordered on amazon,so I should be getting it soon.

Thu Sep 15, 09:18:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous eygle said....


Though it's a little difficut to get it at China.

Thu Sep 15, 09:24:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

The picture of the book on Amazon is different than the picture on the blog. The Amazon picture of the book says: Expert Oracle 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions. The book picture on the blog says: Expert Oracle Database Architecture 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions. I just wanted to make sure that both the books are same. I still wonder why the picture of book has different titles though..

Thu Sep 15, 09:40:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Will said....

Congratulations to you Tom! I'm looking forward to reading it.

Thu Sep 15, 10:27:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Fahd Mirza said....

Please accept my heartiest congragulations. Great shot.

Fri Sep 16, 12:20:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Tony said....

The excitment is almost too much to handle. I read all of your books like it is the first Oracle book I have ever touched. I find myself jumping from one section to another in the book because I get so excited to learn about a particular item.

Fri Sep 16, 12:46:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Neelz said....

Dear Tom
Congratulations. Really look forward to reading the book,


Fri Sep 16, 01:08:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Kim Nørby Andersen said....

Hi Tom

I just purchased your Effective Oracle By Design, and the new one will probably join up on my bookshelf.

I have just made a career move, and instead of being an Oracle developer, I have become an Oracle DBA. And though I know the database quite well as a developer, things like RMAN (and the entire backup/restore thing), User rights, data management is new things in my mind.

What I would like to ask you is, do you have a book that is the perfect "this is the one and only starting point for a dba"... A book that takes you through the basic tasks, and such... For you it is probably many years ago since you needed this, but perhaps you had the question before :)



Fri Sep 16, 03:04:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Javier Morales said....

Congratulations, Tom.
I can't wait...

so, do you if it's possible to pre-order Jonathan Lewis book online or whatever?

I would like a lot my copy signed... but I'm from Spain, so, is it possible to send it to you or (¿?) anything ?

Anyway, my best wishes for you and your new book! Thanks.

Fri Sep 16, 06:13:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Aman Sharma said....

heartiest cogratulations to you sir.I am sure this will be among the best books for Oracle.I have asked my book-dealer today to look for it and get one copy for me as soon as its out here in India.Hope I will get it soon.Once again many many congrats and best wishes to you.
with best regards

Fri Sep 16, 07:02:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Aman Sharma said....

heartiest cogratulations to you sir.I am sure this will be among the best books for Oracle.I have asked my book-dealer today to look for it and get one copy for me as soon as its out here in India.Hope I will get it soon.Once again many many congrats and best wishes to you.
with best regards

Fri Sep 16, 07:02:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

The picture of the book on Amazon

it is just a picture, the rest of the text on the page is accurate.

Fri Sep 16, 07:05:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

"this is the one and only starting point for a dba"

I don't know about "only", that is a bit strong, but you might find
this book
useful as a getting started roadmap.

to pre-order Jonathan Lewis

it should be getting out there soon on amazon for pre-order I would suspect.

As for sending me a book to get signed - I don't think that is feasible, sorry.

Fri Sep 16, 07:09:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Paul said....

Congratulations Tom - I'll get around to buying it if we ever move off 8.1.7 where I work. (Probably never ...)

Fri Sep 16, 08:09:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Kim Nørby Andersen said....

Hahaha, I should've guessed that you would point to Oracle documentation. After all, I stopped reading your Effective Oracle By Design, after you "flamed" people for skipping the concepts guide and dba guide for administrators and dev guide for developers...

And yet I tried to get the shortcut, after assimilating the concepts guide (cover-to-cover). For a new-born dba, there is so much knowledge to accumulate, so I want a shorter guide/help to get the framework right, and from then on dive into the detail.

Anyways, off I go the the Administration workshop I+II and meanwhile the 2dayDBA :))))

Thanks for the "reminder", Tom



Fri Sep 16, 08:53:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Amazon sales rank is now 1,055 - went up to 750 during the day :)

Fri Sep 16, 02:49:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Patty said....

Congratulations Tom! I too look forward to reading it but am thinking that I need to find a U.S. address to send it to. Do you know that they want $65 + tax (15%) CDN for it on Yikes!

Fri Sep 16, 02:54:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Looks like Italians are luckier then - $45.97 all-inclusive from USA ("Expedited International Shipping" - DHL to Frankfurt Germany, normal postal system to Italy - 1 week usually, max 2 weeks to Northern Italy).
It should be the same in all Europe, I believe.

Fri Sep 16, 03:54:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....


I think you do a good job of writing your books so that they can been read straight through or used as reference. The snippets you have posted lead me to believ this one will be no different.

Also I was wondering if Tom or anyone else out there would recommend Expert Oracle Database 10g Administration by Sam R. Alapati? Thinking of getting that with Tom's book but I don't know

a) If Tom's books cover everything in there or
b) if Alapati's books are worth it.


Fri Sep 16, 07:29:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

pre ordered at bookpool for 30.95 and this book is eligible for $10 mailin rebate. Greate deal ..

Sat Sep 17, 03:42:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Laurent Schneider said....

I have bought my copy in oracle press bookshop at oow moscone west :-)

Sun Sep 18, 02:34:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Shipped from amazon 14 minutes ago :)

Sun Sep 18, 04:28:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Thought you would like this.

By the way, my copy of the new book has already been shipped

Dear Customer,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased Effective Oracle by Design (Osborne ORACLE Press Series) by Thomas Kyte also purchased books by Donald Burleson. For this reason, you might like to know that Donald Burleson's Oracle Silver Bullets : Real-World Oracle Performance Secrets (Oracle In-Focus series) is now available in paperback. You can order your copy at a savings of 34% by following the link below.


Oracle Silver Bullets : Real-World Oracle Performance Secrets (Oracle In-Focus series)
Donald Burleson, Don K. Burleson (Editor)
Price: $18.45
You Save: $9.50(34%)

(May 15, 2005)

Sun Sep 18, 06:10:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Tarry said....

haha..No secrets when you buy TK's book. No darn silver bull(ets)!

Good job, Tom. Now where's my mastercard? :-)

Mon Sep 19, 07:05:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Dear Customer,

I was curious about that, since I watch my books on amazon and I've never saw that pop up. You know on amazon, they list the books that have been selling with it. I've been paired with some really good books (millsap, lewis, ensor, urman, loney, mcdonald, knox...) but I don't remember seeing that particular pairing.

Anyway, I asked my publisher friends and turns out publishers can actually pick a successful book in the same topical area to be paired with. It is part of their marketing strategy for a book.

So, I'm very flattered someone picked my book at the successful book to be paired with, says something doesn't it.

Mon Sep 19, 01:49:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Krish said....

I think the pairing is hilarious (especially given the recent pga related articles).

Damn, amazon again lists the book as "not yet released" !

Can't wait to get this one.

Best wishes Tom ..

Mon Sep 19, 11:39:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous mr obvious said....

"The Book has landed"

I don't think it's landed. I think it's about to crash.

I can't believe you killed a tree to create that sad excuse for a book.

Mon Sep 19, 11:46:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

mr obvious said...

what is so sad is you cannot even come up with your own creative pseudonym, you have to borrow from say "capt obvious".

I'll let your "prior" works works
speak for themselves

and they speak volumes.

Thanks for playing.

Mon Sep 19, 11:58:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Captain Obvious said....

Tom, thanks!

For Mr. Obvious
(OBVIOUSLY, we know who you are): Why not ask Cancun Kid to help you come up with a pseudonym? HE at least was original.

Tue Sep 20, 09:24:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Harry Li said....

Hi, Tom:
Congratulations! Cannot wait to read it.
Is there any chance to get a copy on the coming TOUG Oracle Day (Oct 3)? Amazon still says "not yet been released..."

Tue Sep 20, 01:13:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Warren said....

Congratulations Tom. Hope that you can spend sometime doing hands-on oracle class training or bootcamps as an instructor. I'm sure many will booked for that event.

Thu Sep 22, 04:38:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Mark said....

Hi Tom,
Great looking book!!! I just ordered mine from Barnes and Noble. I had an order with Amazon but they said it wouldn't ship until November 19th. I couldn't wait so I looked at B and N and it ships next day there!
Can't wait to read it. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us.

Thu Sep 22, 09:59:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Siew Kam Onn said....

Here's a quick link to the book

Fri Sep 30, 12:18:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Laurent Schneider said....

Hi Tom,
Probably worth figuring in the link you like :-)

Fri Sep 30, 10:11:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Manal Sabri said....

When can i get it in india.

Mon Oct 03, 05:57:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....


I am going through the new book right now and came across an item I want to comment (because based on what you say in the text part, it is a bit misleading in the sample code - I had to test the query in my db to see that the example is a bit off). I went to the apress site but it doesn't seem to have a location to insert comments. Where can I post the comment?


Thu Oct 13, 12:53:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Nevermind, I found it.... (go figure... after I posted here).

For other people seeking the same thing -


Thu Oct 13, 12:57:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

there is no place to place a "comment" - there is a link for errata right here.

If you have a "comment", feel free to put it here, on this site if you like.

Thu Oct 13, 12:58:00 PM EDT  

Blogger bernice said....

Hi Tom,

My comment is on Chapt 12 (pg 522-523).

At the bottom of pg522, you explain that 4712BC is 'less than' 4710BC and by dumping the two dates, you can see that 01-jan-4710BC is "larger" than the same day in 4712BC.

In the next page, you show the output of "select x, dump(x,10) d from t;

While I was reading this, I had wanted to see the order of the output to agree with what you describe in the leading paragraph. But it didn't. The output shows the rows in the order the table was populated. (at first glance, I had assumed the order of the rows were representing what you were describing and was confused until I ran the following sql)....

So, when I issued the query -
select x from t order by x;
then, I get the output that demonstrates what you were describing before.

Bernice Lam

Thu Oct 13, 04:55:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

bernice said...


thanks much for the input - that would make more sense, I will file errata for that for the next print.

I agree an order by would make the example "better"

Thu Oct 13, 05:07:00 PM EDT  


<< Home