Friday, September 23, 2005

Back from OOW

Long week, voice is a bit gravelly sounding and I'm tired. But, I'm not complaining - it was a good week all in all. Very good. Got together with long time friends and new ones as well.

I met so many people this year that I've "talked" to but never "talked" to if you know what I mean. Putting the faces to the names was great. I had my last "meet and greet" session yesterday and was expecting a really small group (the conference was almost over). Instead about 35 or so people turned up, even though the "meet and greet" events were not advertised well (and the OTN lounge was "out of the way", not in the main stream). We had a really good hour long session (started early, finished late).

The attendance at the conference was large to say the least. I think I'd like something smaller and more personal, put too many people together and simple things like taking bio-breaks becomes a huge event.

Tired, but back home. Started the trek at 4:30am this morning (been home about 4 hours) pacific time - in hopes of sleeping on time tonight.

I am realizing however that at the rate I'm reading Atlas Shrugged - it'll take a couple of more flights before I'm done. The font in this book is about as small as they get and the page count is just over 1,000. I'm liking it so far.

Normal programming to resume this weekend...

(Mark Rittman has a good closing write up...)

POST A COMMENT

8 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hunter said....

The font in this book is about as small as they get and the page count is just over 1,000. I'm liking it so far.
almost like expert 1 on 1. ;) Get some sleep, I'm sure you have to cut the grass tomorrow.

Fri Sep 23, 08:48:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I compared the font to Expert already - this book makes Expert one on one Oracle look like it used a crayon font! (meaning, Expert 1/1 font is a lot larger, a lot)...

grass is short, leaves however are starting to pile up :( Getting to be fall.

Fri Sep 23, 08:53:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous doug c said....

Tom - this is an unrelated subject but I didn't know where to post it. I was looking for an old post where people were discussing their favorite RSS reader - remember you had a poll and some posts about it in June/July timeframe? If I do a "search this blog" for rss - nothing shows up. I think that's odd for something owned by google, unless of course I'm just doing something odd. I ended up browsing the archives. Looking forward to seeing you at CTOUG.

Fri Sep 23, 09:32:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Rachel said....

I sort of figured you'd like Atlas Shrugged... and that discussion might have to be email, if you wait until I get to another conference, well, it'll be Fall 2007 before I'll be free of school

One of the reasons RMOUG is one of my favorite conferences -- it's small enough that it feels like you really could get to know every person there but large enough to attract some really good presentations.

Fri Sep 23, 10:08:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Aman Sharma said....

hi sir
there was an entry somewhere in the blog about the setting of individal name on flickr eg. ?/photos/tkyte/?
please tell me how to do it?I couldnt find it in the blog(I know its somewhere but I just couldnt:(
thanx and sorry for trouble.
regards
Aman

Sat Sep 24, 12:14:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

this is an unrelated

Yes, the blogger search seems "busted" since they added a blog search feature!

this is the blogger search and this is the google advanced search with a site:tkyte.blogspot.com in it, that is, use:

rss site:tkyte.blogspot.com

in the google site.

individual name on flickr

Using the above search string but with flickr instead of rss :) I found it here

Sat Sep 24, 07:45:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Aman Sharma said....

thanx alot sir!
Just want to say that as per the instruction.."Your Account"=>"Your own web page",now its "Your account"=>"your own alias".
:-)I guess I have to use google more and more.So sorry to unnecessarily trouble you.
with best regards
Aman

Sat Sep 24, 10:31:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous chickswv said....

Tom - I know what you mean about the long flight back from OOW. I had a similar experience. It sure is easy going to the west coast for you gain those 3 hours, coming back a little different.

It is always a pleasure to see/hear you speak. I really enjoyed your presentation on the top 10/13 of 10g. TDE is awesome. I really like it over the Obfuscation toolkit way of doing things.

Wed Sep 28, 01:08:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home