Thursday, August 18, 2005

Way too connected

Just thought this was funny. I'm in San Francisco today at Oracle corporate. Went downtown to visit a friend. I got downtown early and found a Starbucks, got online. Saw they were online as well and instant messaged them to let them know I was here early.

Turns out we were both in the same Starbucks sitting maybe 25 feet from eachother. Good thing the network was networking or we might have sat there for an hour without knowing the other was there ;)

Now off to dinner, then redeye back to the east coast for tomorrow. I’ll be home for two days and then I’m off to Iceland and Prague for two weeks.  Everyone who says “asktom never takes questions in my time zone” might have a chance over the next two weeks – I’ll be on European time.  Have two seminars to give so I might not take a lot of new questions, but when the queues are open, they’ll be relative to GMT, not east coast time.



Blogger Lisa said....

That is funny!
Nice to see you will be almost on my timezone for something other than UKOUG!
And that reminds me, I'll be wanting to have a little 'chat' with you at UKOUG about this new user group SIG I'm deputy chair of.
And I promise there will be no water throwing involved!

Thu Aug 18, 07:14:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous djb said....

Just curious, what IM program do you use? Yahoo, MS, etc?

Thu Aug 18, 09:54:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

what IM program do you use?

it does them all

Thu Aug 18, 10:56:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Simo said....

Everyone who says “asktom never takes questions in my time zone” might have a chance

Oh but for us Europeans I think its almost easier to submit a new question.. :) I see the submit new question button frequently around 7am and 3pm (GMT+2)

Fri Aug 19, 12:51:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Leo Mannhart said....

Tom, if you just by chance are going to be once in switzerland, just let me know, you're invited for a beer (or two) and a dinner.
(and of course this is valid also if you're bringing your wife/doughter/whomever with you)

Thanks for all your work.

Fri Aug 19, 03:55:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Graham Ross said....

I think I've only ever seen the submit button once, and I've been visiting the site more than once a day for the last 6 months.

On another note Tom, I hope you'll have the opportunity to spend some leisure time in Prague. It's a beautiful place, and may just be my favourite city in the world.

Fri Aug 19, 04:01:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous paul said....

Tom - thanks for tipping everbody off! I was hoping to sneak some questions in next week, but now you've probably blown it for me.
Graham says he's seen the 'submit a question' once. The first time I ever saw it (after about 12 months visting the site), it was a fault.On the bright side I can usually find the answer I need from previous questions and threads.

Fri Aug 19, 04:22:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous oraboy said....

for the volume of questions Tom receives I am sure "Submit a question" cannot be shown all night and day through..

but just a thought..why Tom didnt make it appear on random basis (say "5 minutes slot" ask button shown couple of times in next 24 hours.. sort of )

that way all his audience would have a fair chance (not to have advantage with their local timezone).. and who really really has a question, I am assuming would have already prepared the test case and have it ready and just wouldnt mind waiting for their chance to see the show (SUBMIT Question button, I mean)

Tom would have a justfying reply for this too, I am sure.

Fri Aug 19, 09:29:00 AM EDT  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

Iceland, eh? I've had an itch to visit there for a long, long time. Perhaps I should send you some resume copies to hand out?

Fri Aug 19, 02:00:00 PM EDT  


<< Home