I decided to upgrade to vmware 5.0 and reorganize my vm's. In the last couple of days I've installed and patched all of the way up 8ir3, 9ir2, 10gr1 on windows and am getting set to do 9ir1, 10gr1, 10gr2 for linux (running the linux os install right now).
I’ve decided to build a VM per database release this time and have the OS’s be as pristine as possible. Vmware 5.0 has a very nice clone with a softlink – meaning, I installed the OS once and got the settings just the way I like it and then cloned it 3 times to lay down 8i, 9i, and 10g in their own environments. Working very well for now (so far so good).
My plan with linux is to lay down Red Hat Advanced Server 3.0 and then upgrade the kernel from 2.4 to 2.6. For this, the cloning will be a really nice feature as I’ve not upgraded a kernel myself yet so I’m’ sure it’ll take one or two tries to get it “just right”. The reason I want to get to 2.6 is for stable USB2.0 and Firewire support on my machine at home. I’ve been itching to have a lot of disk available and the only cost effective solution for playing will be direct attach storage using one of those. I have a terabyte for $1 a gigabyte, now I just have to get it attached.
It is amazing to think that when I joined Oracle one dozen years ago (happy anniversary to me, it is twelve years ago today that I signed up), a 400 MB hard disk was considered “huge” (and huge in two ways, they were physically BIG and the storage was considered almost infinite). One of my first benchmarks back then was a 150 GB database, that was enormous. Things have changed for sure. I now travel with 140 GB of storage (80 GB in the laptop, 60 GB in an external USB 2.0 powered drive that I keep my VM’s on).
I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to fill up a terabyte pretty fast playing with stuff. It’ll be nice to have almost unlimited “room” (but I’m sure it’ll feel very confining in a year or two).
One thing I did realize doing install after install (besides the fact that installing is boring… good thing I can install and do other things at the same time) is that the patch process has gotten a lot better over time. The 8iR3 patch to 188.8.131.52 – 13 manual steps, updates of the dictionary! Not pretty. 10gR1 to get to 10.1.0.4, @catpatch.sql – done. I still miss the character mode installer though.
Back to install fest – wish me luck on the kernel upgrade, not really sure how that will work out. Testing on the VM, but my plan is to do it for real on the PowerEdge when I feel like I know what I’m doing.