Friday, August 05, 2005

I can't see a tie

Yesterday someone commented on my pictures on my books.  They said they cannot tell if I was wearing a tie. As there is a funny story in there, well here we go.

Expert One on One -- a tie. On the original WROX one (the red book), you can see it very clearly on the bottom of the page.  Later editions (which proved that I have hair since they stopped cutting my head off at my forehead), it is harder to tell but it is there.

Beginning Oracle -- a tie. But, the guy in the middle of that piciture, his name is Chris Beck, and that is not his body.  They did not like what he was wearing so, a little photoshop and Chris has the shoulders he’s always wanted.  Did they ask?  Nooooo, was he surprised?  Bigtime.  Was it funny – absolutely, we would tease him that his shoulders must have looked really wimpy for them to replace them like that.

Effective Oracle by Design -- a funny story. I was wearing a tie for that photograph, but due to the creative use of photoshop - my head is now on someone elses shoulders and body! (No idea whose body that is). 

That is my Oracle Magazine column picture. The magazine staff told me the photographer was coming in and gave me no "dress code", so I wore what I would for a customer visit (suit and tie). The magazine didn't feel it fell in with the rest of the pictures and therefore (unbeknownst to me) edited it. I laughed a lot upon seeing the picture for the first time — I call it my “californization” picture.  Looks very “California Corporate”, the black tshirt (of which I own – well, zero).

Anyway, Oracle Press really wanted my picture on the book and I really didn’t want it.  I wouldn’t send them one figuring that was that.  Well, they went to Oracle Magazine and got it from them.  If you look closely at the book, you can see the line on my neck where they slid my head on.  It also explains why I look a little “funny” in that picture, the head is not in a natural position.

This is perhaps the only thing I have in common with hollywood.

POST A COMMENT

22 Comments:

Anonymous Leo Mannhart said....

Tom, thanks for sharing this story.

To be honest, I was just looking at your picture here on the blogs page on top. But after this new blog ... hmmmm ... the face looks the same (more or less) as on the cover of the book ... but hey, this picture could also be "photoshoped" again and we can just see the original shoulder ... hmmm ... this is getting really weird
;-)

Fri Aug 05, 08:08:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous martin said....

Well, what you have most in common with hollywood is you have a big "fan-base". You know, minions ;)

Fri Aug 05, 08:22:00 AM EDT  

Blogger melanie caffrey said....

Funny!

I wondered about that. I've never seen you stray far from the classic blue dress shirt.

I figured they'd somehow talked you into the black T.

Perhaps next time they'll merge your image with that of J.A. and together you'll sell twice as many books and twice as many magazines. :-)

Fri Aug 05, 08:38:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

What about combining Tom's head with the body of Jonathan Lewis ? Would it be an American / British cooperation ? ;-)

Fri Aug 05, 08:59:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Connor McDonald said....

Trendy black t-shirt...

I'm picking its Larry's body :-)

Fri Aug 05, 09:05:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Rjamya said....

Tom,

with all this protoshop magic, i think next thing you'll tell us is that the photo shoot was in Cancun and they used an air brush afterwords. That will by fun.

8:)
Raj

Fri Aug 05, 09:10:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Jeff Hunter said....


I'm picking its Larry's body :-)


Oh, the one-liners I'm thinking of...

Fri Aug 05, 09:14:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Why does Jennifer Anniston sell women's magazines?

Fri Aug 05, 09:21:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Very funny! Thanks for sharing, Tom!

Fri Aug 05, 09:56:00 AM EDT  

Blogger R Menon said....

Really funny!
had a good laugh with my wife!
I actually always wondered that your picture in EOD always looked rather
funny..

Fri Aug 05, 10:28:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Mike said....

Amusing, yes... but didn't it make you even the slightest bit uncomfortable? Perhaps the next book they won't like your hair, or eyes, or nose, or... I would think they would need your permission for something like that. Wasn't Chris even a little perturbed over the whole thing?

Fri Aug 05, 10:52:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Aman Sharma said....

Hi sir,
Please excuse me but I always wanted to ask you this.In some places your name comes as Thomas Kyte and at some Tom Kyte.Why so?
regards
Aman

Fri Aug 05, 11:23:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Christopher Beck said....

Perturbed? A bit. It was more of a shock when I first saw the cover and I was like, "Who's that big guy in the middle?", "Hey I would never wear that sweater!" and "Damn, with shoulders like that, I should be in football." The say that the camera adds 10 pounds but I did not realize that is was all going to be in my shoulders.

The Wrox publishers 'reminded' me that they owned the pictures and could do with them what the wanted. Signed my life away with that book contract I tell you :D But I'm not bitter. I don't lose sleep over it (well not anymore that is, the doctor says I'm doing much better now).

And yes, Tom loves to jab me about that photoshop'ed picture. But I did not know about the Effective Oracle by Design photo of his. Welcome the the world of wimpy Mr. Kyte. :P I guess stunt shoulders are all the rage in the publishing world. Who knew?

Fri Aug 05, 11:32:00 AM EDT  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

At least it's the bodies that they replaced, not the heads ... now that would really have been a kick in the teeth.

Fri Aug 05, 11:41:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Mike said....

I was under the impression that my copy of EOD was %100 Tom Kyte.

I feel so cheated...

;-)

Fri Aug 05, 11:54:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Robert said....

heheh PhotoChop rules !

Fri Aug 05, 01:10:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Daniel Fink said....

Now, whenever I need a smile or chuckle, I'll pull out my copy of EOD, look at Tom's picture. And start humming "I'm too sexy for my nice blue shirt"...

Gotta love it!

Fri Aug 05, 01:17:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Kell said....

You know - I believe there is a segment of the population like you (and me) - Don't wanna be famous - yet we end up in front of a lot of people... so our pictures get out in front of a lot of people... sigh.

I'm sorry about your unintentional book photo. But, in the end, the publisher ALWAYS wins, no?

Fri Aug 05, 03:28:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Sam said....

No wonder I couldn't see the neck in the cover of EOD. In fact, it is almost impossible to pose like that one, with head straight and also the shoulder/arms in that position with missing neck. hahahaaa.

It is really sad how digital photography and photoshop can sabotage the truth behind something 'real'. Last time I went on a trip to Niagara, everyone made me embarassed by looking at my big old film camera, when everyone was holding a pocket size digicam. I still can't forget the days when we had to process the black and white pic and used some tea (drinking tea) to make the pic look like a sepia tone. Now, one click of the mouse, u get sepia tone pic. I am not an old fashioned person who still wanna use the punch cards and 5 1/4 floppy refusing to use the 1GB thumb drive, but I do kinda hard to accept the digital image butchering. :-)

Fri Aug 05, 03:46:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Robert Vollman said....

Hey, at least they put your head on a man's body.

Mon Aug 08, 08:40:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joseph said....

Tom, I think that Chris Beck was my roomate at Rutgers (helped me pass many Comp. Sci.tests). I sort of recognized him in the picture on the book and thought....naahhh Chris would never wear that sweater--but this explains it all. Any idea where I can get in touch with Chris?

Tue Mar 27, 11:14:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Christopher.Beck@oracle.com

Wed Mar 28, 12:13:00 AM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home