Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Greetings from Iceland

Iceland has been great so far, I'm one and a half days into the seminar (one and half left to go). First day I was here, my host took me on a tour and we ended up at some hot springs.

 Me in Iceland

After that, we went to a place called the Blue Lagoon - a hot spring we could go swimming in, that was pretty cool (hot really, but you know what I mean). Now it has just been talking for two days. Still looking forward to Prague, going to spend the weekend there being a tourist, something I don't often get the chance to do.

In earlier blog entries, people had asked "why don't more Oracle people seem to be doing this", I just wanted to point out a new blog that came online recently. Abhinav Agarwal has started an Oracle Business Intelligence blog, you might want to check it out.



Anonymous Anonymous said....

Hope the rain is less than during the weekend in Thorsmork 2 years ago or so ;-)

Wed Aug 24, 08:40:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

The weather has been fine (cold, it was HOT in Virginia when I left, it is like late fall temperature here now, have to wear a coat in August!).

Last time I was here, a year and a half ago, it was *very wet* :)

Wed Aug 24, 08:48:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous denni50 said....

green with envy....

They say Iceland is the warmer island and Greenland is like the polar ice. The view behind you looks majestic. I love those kind's of places...remote,rugged and seemingly pristine.

A friend went on vacation to the Scottish Highlands in Scotland,he rented a cabin on some remote hillside.I never imagined or saw a more beautiful place on this planet, there were hills covered with water falls, the color of green was a shimmering emerald,
and looking out the front door all he saw was hills of sheep grazing.
He said "if you think Scotland is beautiful, visit Ireland"

I vowed if it's the last thing I ever do I have to visit Scotland.

Wed Aug 24, 09:52:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Doug Burns said....

denni50 -

"I vowed if it's the last thing I ever do I have to visit Scotland."

It's well worth the trip. As long as you can stand the so-so service, our terrible diet and the very variable weather. The scenery more than makes up for it - and the people of course ;-)

Personally, I've been meaning to go to Iceland for a while ...

Hope you enjoy Prague, Tom!



Wed Aug 24, 09:57:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Robert Vollman said....

Did anyone take you to the hot springs in Banff when you were in Calgary? If so, how do they compare to the hot springs in Iceland? Is it pretty much the same thing?

Wed Aug 24, 10:05:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

when you were in Calgary?

I did a hit and run on Calgary - in one night late and out the next afternoon.

I have it on my calendar to go back next year already so maybe next time :)

Wed Aug 24, 10:38:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Tom Gaines said....

Tom -

I'm so glad that you're enjoying Iceland! After the U.S., Iceland is my favorite country in the whole wide world, and I encourage everyone to spend at least a day or so exploring if they ever have a stopover to or from Europe.

I lived there as a tot in 1966 to a teenager in 1978 when my dad was in the Air Force and stationed at the big base you flew into. (The international airport is now separated from the base, but we were one big happy back then.) I've even casually enquired into Oracle DBA/dev jobs there, but I'm kinda spoiled now by being back in the states. But it'll have a very WARM place in my heart!

Wed Aug 24, 01:44:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

There's a great anecdote here that shows one example of why its better to analyze the problem rather than blindly look for solutions (aka "shooting blindly").

Wed Aug 24, 05:43:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Noons said....

"Abhinav Agarwal has started an Oracle Business Intelligence blog, you might want to check it out."

Man, another one to check! Thanks for that, Tom.

Wed Aug 24, 08:31:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom, I can't see your laptop in the picture :-)

Have fun

Wed Aug 24, 09:18:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Dear Tom,

Sorry for being off topic,
your new book seems to be too costly here in Japan. At 6,929 Yen roughly 65$, more than double the price at

Thu Aug 25, 01:19:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Andrew said....

Tom, do you not have any plans to stop over at Malmö, Sweden on the 1-2 September? You can't miss the Americas Cup; especially when we're going to have a surprise guest during oracle Nordic Days! My friend reckons it'll be Larry with his boat :)

Thu Aug 25, 04:47:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

I'll still be in Prague then (and flying home)

I'll be in Sweden in October though.

Thu Aug 25, 04:50:00 AM EDT  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

ref: Iceland ... have you eaten the fermented Shark yet? Anthony Bourdain said it was the most disgusting thing he'd ever tried, and that comes from a man who eat iguana and raw snake's heart. I think it's important that you try that ... take one for the team, man.

Thu Aug 25, 03:05:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Niall said....

Well as Tom is there as a guest of Miracle Iceland ( my guess is that a number of interesting items might be ingested.


Thu Aug 25, 04:22:00 PM EDT  

Blogger David Aldridge said....

"... a number of interesting items might be ingested"

It would be a definite discourtesy to refuse. Especially anything served in a glass.

Thu Aug 25, 04:47:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

have you eaten the fermented Shark yet?

No fermented shark, but last time I was here -- I has "sea urchin" (a once in a lifetime experience :)

This time, with my Salmon Tartar (very good) I had Salmon Cavier (pass), Cavier should not crunch (should it?)

Reindeer was the other "exotic" meal, very good -- recommend it.

Tonight was take-out Sushi - excellent.

definite discourtesy to refuse.

I will try anything *once* and things I like more than once.

So far, it has all been great.

Thu Aug 25, 05:13:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Doug C said....

On the subject of "Why don't more Oracle people do this" - I am wondering why there is not more about apps out there. I believe you (Tom) once said on your site that you had gotten this far in your career without learning it and you didn't really want to. (or something like that). I hope I'm not misrepresenting you. In any case, are there any Oracle bloggers who cover this mult-tier, apache, jserv, on and on..11i apps world?

Thu Aug 25, 10:43:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Doug C said...

On the subject of

I wrote words to the effect of "apps is a career path"

I'll ask around when I get back and if I find such a thing (a community of apps folks) I'll post about it.

Sat Aug 27, 05:36:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I searched on "oracle iceland" and arrived at this blog...
I also work at Oracle and I am currently teaching a short, intersession course on "User-Centered Design Management" at Reykjavik University. I am using my Oracle vacation time to teach and explore on the weekends.
I find the people, the culture, and the sights to be beyond my wildest expectations. We should build the next data center here !
Luke Kowalski

Fri Apr 25, 07:22:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Very Good article , this article make some interesting points.
Tactical Flashlights
r c helicopter
video game
Tactical Flashlight

Mon Jun 23, 02:31:00 AM EDT  


<< Home