Sunday, July 10, 2005

Point Taken

Alberto Dell'Era said Looks like that your blog is turning (partially) into the "TomSays" of "askTom", where you push Oracle topics instead of pulling them, for public discussion. If that's going to be, perhaps you may consider opening a separate section in asktom. And Rob ZIjlstra said.... basically the same thing.

I guess they have a point – it was really hard to get the code examples to fit into the blogspot templates.  So, next week, I will do what I’ve done once or twice before and “ask myself” a question about LOG ERRORS on asktom – look for it over there, I’ll be sure to put a link to it on the home page so it is easy to find.  But I do want to discover the in’s and out’s of LOG ERRORS before I start applying them.  I think that is important – and the basic reason my “work in progress book” on 9iR1, 9iR2 and 10gR1 will have this much to say about 10g:

<this space intentionally left blank>

I cannot imagine promoting or advising the use of a new feature that I’ve never actually used in “real life” in a book – people take that seriously.  It would not really be possible to advise people on when to use them or not yet (proof: look at the previous 3 blog entries!  We learned a lot but what I mostly learned was I have more to learn about them – they look exceedingly promising so far though as we understand them).

Anyway, Rob asked “what do you eat/drink when you bar-b-que and how many people are normally there”.  Well, last weekend being the 4th of July we definitely did that.  There was about 15 adults and what seemed like dozens of kids (but I’m told it was about 10).  A friend of mine, Sean Dillon, took some shots. His comment on there about “defector” relates to the fact that he starts at Microsoft tomorrow!  Right across the street from my building (which used to be his building).  You can see one of my at home jobs which is running the grill.  That night I was cooking simultaneously some spicy sausage (my personal favorite), burgers, chicken and the top rack was filled with veggies (at first, you have to rotate the food around).  I timed it perfectly as everything came off of the grill at exactly the same time.  Kids get soda and water to drink (you see an example of each with Megan) — and water to throw of course (the shot of Alan).  I usually have a beer with sausage (although I have a feel that Rob from Holland would beg to differ, I’ve a feeling he would not consider what we call beer is actually beer).  Then it is red wine.  But just beer and wines for a bbq setting.

Later that night we set off the requisite fireworks in the driveway, a good time was had by all.

Almost forgot, in response to this comment and this one, the answer is yes - I got it last week and wow, it is very very cool. It even works over the satellite connection I have at home. My son is hooked on it too. Thanks, yet another distractions
POST A COMMENT

18 Comments:

Blogger thierry said....

And who will answer now the xml related questions?

Sun Jul 10, 06:00:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Argh...no...Sean Dillon leaving Oracle and joining the Dark Side?!! Why? Why?

Sun Jul 10, 09:41:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Fahd Mirza said....

Tom, it would be highly guideful if you please tells us that how do you read? I mean things like, do you read slowly pondering upon each word or do you just go through it? etc. and whether your reading habits are different for technical stuff and non-technical stuff?

Mon Jul 11, 01:43:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

"resistance is futile", but even Picard got assimilated and then got back (almost) unharmed ... so perhaps ... ;)

Mon Jul 11, 06:54:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

fahd Mirza said...
Tom, it would be highly guideful if you please tells us that how do you read?


I have never over analyzed it but I seem to skim with a good ability to retain. I read sort of fast, but get the information and have fairly good retention.

Occasionally I have to read a paragraph 2 or 3 times to get it - but that is more a sign the writing was obtuse I think.

Back in the 7.3 and before days, I used to be able to tell you the chapter and section something was written about in the concepts guide :) but there are too many versions now and the chapters have moved around.

Mon Jul 11, 08:17:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Martin said....

Tom,

So, what kind of beer do you drink? If it's lager beer like heineken, then that's what most dutchies call 'bier(tje)' :). Germans however will not call it beer.

Mon Jul 11, 09:20:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tom,
Rule #1 in blogging is: your blog, post whatever you want. Readers then visit whatever blogs /they/ want to visit. For my part, whatever you post, I will read!

But if I could be allowed an editorial comment, I find your more observational and/or philosophical, and your more wimsical, essays on this site to be the ones I read more carefully and forward to others. The detailed technical discussions seem to go better over on AskTom. Just my 0.02 and worth every cent of it!

sPh

Mon Jul 11, 09:43:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Matthias Rogel said....

a.
Sean Dillon joining Microsoft - are you serious ?
That's bad news

b.
(We) Germans will nothing call beer except our own
with one exception:
Bavarian beer can't be called beer ;-)

Mon Jul 11, 10:34:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Yes, Sean left to work in their collaborative technologies -- not the database.

So, what kind of beer do you drink?

The two we usually have around would be Coors Light and Corona Light... We are not heavy beer consumers (now, red wine... that is a different story ;)

Mon Jul 11, 11:14:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Martin said....

Yes, I also prever Wine over Beer. Beer is nice for BBQ's or in the pub ;)

To be on (the actual) topic:

What I liked most on your Blog so far are blogs like the ones on how to ask/answer questions. Also The blogs on time management and writing your book were interesting to read.

I agree with the other posters that Technical Columns are more in place on AskTom or the columns you do on OTN every now and then.

Mon Jul 11, 11:52:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Re: Content of blog:

I think the first blog about the error logging was with the general line of the blog. You were so excited to see the new feature that you just wanted to play with it and show everyone that you played with it. Once people started requesting technical details, that might've been the point to move the remainder of the discussion into an AskTom Q&A.

A "Hey check this out" doesn't seem to fit nicely into AskTom. The "How does error logging handle randomly sorted data?" etc does.

Mon Jul 11, 12:21:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Dan Kefford said....

Tom...

Have you ever tried Belgian style ales? These are _really_ good:

Unibroue Terrible
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/unibroue-la-terrible/13815/

Spaten Optimator
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/spaten-optimator/2094/

Allagash Dubbel Reserve
http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/allagash-dubbel-reserve/3062/

They're definitely _not_ on the light side though. ;P

Mon Jul 11, 12:22:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous graeme king said....

i would agree with Alberto. i like to read about your travels, book choices, philosphy, gadgets etc...if i want to read about a new feature in oracle, i'd rather read it on asktom...

how about keeping the techie db stuff to a minimum on your blog tom.

cheers
graeme

Mon Jul 11, 12:48:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Mark Campbell said....

I like the idea of you writing about Oracle topics. It seems to me that your blog can work as sort of a scratch pad as you flesh out your thoughts and ideas about new features, for example.

As you discover the possibilities and capabilities, with feedback and thoughts provided back by readers, it seems you will be able to not only reach conclusions, but we will be able to see (read) your thoughts as you uncover different aspects of new features. Understanding your mind as you go through the discovery process is, to me, very interesting and highly informative.

Then maybe, once you develop the "official line", it may be appropriate to migrate it to AskTom.

Mon Jul 11, 01:37:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Kapavars said....

Tom,

Quite like you, I get easily distracted. And this blog is a neat distraction from , guess what, asktom.

Tom for President

Mon Jul 11, 01:59:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

Actually I agree with Mark Campbell, and I wasn't *at all* against your talking about Oracle here - all I was asking for was a better GUI for sqlplus output ... and asktom popped up to mind.

IMHO for a blog to be succesfull the author should speak spontaneously, about what S/He's thinking about at the moment - one day squirrels, another day "log errors". It should be an hobby, a diversion, not yet another daily task.

I would go a step further - if you find something about Oracle that looks "cool" but without any practical application, throw it out here - nothing better than playing in order to learn (as children know very very well - and we all need neoteny in this ever-changing IT world).

neoteny="Retention of juvenile characteristics in the adults of a species"

Mon Jul 11, 04:04:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Blog, smog
who reads this stuff?
http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html?uc_full_date=20050703

Mon Jul 11, 04:32:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Blog, smog

apparently, you do :)

Dan Kefford said... Tom..
Have you ever tried Belgian style ales?


Actually, when I was in the Netherlands - I had some really good ones. Two of those are about equal to a six pack of ours , this short movie makes that point (and is rather funny too:

http://www.filmfestival.120seconds.com/qt/film_6.html
)

Mon Jul 11, 06:48:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home