Sunday, July 03, 2005

How small can it get

I was reading gizmodo and stumbled upon this nifty little gadget

I thought to myself “wow”, how much smaller can  you get?  I remember when I started giving presentations, the state of the art was a 35mm projector (we still have boxes of the old slides) but they were professionally done and quite expensive.  Then came along the LCD screen that sat on an overhead projector and in the olden days was basically black and white (or orange and bright orange).

Then came the projectors.  Full color, 640x480 resolution, huge, heavy, delicate.  These things were monsters, if you ever used one you know what I mean.  The case they came in was metal – solid case, heavy case, huge case.  As big as a large college dorm refrigerator, only heavier.  And bright silver, you could not misplace this thing.  The inside of the case was filled with tons of foam padding because these things were so delicate. In order to use them, you had to close all blinds on the windows, turn off the lights, plunge into total darkness, otherwise you could not see them.  I myself prefered color transparencies (I would print them using a relatively cheap deskjet, it took a good 10 minutes per transparency but the results were pretty good) for that reason, I really need to see the room to talk to the room.

Anyway, these projectors were beasts, you certainly didn’t travel with them – you had them shipped if you needed.  And expensive, hugely expensive.

Now, I’ve watched over the years as they get smaller and lighter and brighter – to the point where they are now smaller and lighter than my laptop – but this one here puts it into an entirely new realm.  That is getting close to pocket size.  And if the marketing is accurate, it’ll be bright and durable.  And the price looks fairly low.  Now, it is only 800x600 but in a pinch that is more than enough pixels to push slides and run a sqlplus demo or two.

Now I guess I’m expecting something that looks like a maglight flashligh with a usb connection for power in the future!



Blogger Renee said....

It's fantastic how cheap they are getting in price. You can throw this in your laptop bag and basically turn any bbq with friends into an impromptu movie night on the side of the house. LOL

Sun Jul 03, 12:36:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Holger Schweichler said....

Hello Tom,

yes, it is amazing how fast technology keeps moving forward... in fact, it's been just two months until I purchased a beamer for my home (a Benq 6110), and I thought that one was affordable and pretty small already (still at least double the size of the Mitsubishi). However, it came with a carrying case and all necessary cables.

BTW - been reading your blog for a while now, really like it.


Mon Jul 04, 07:59:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

And do you remember the parabolic, silvered screens that you could get to improve the brightness of the image for the audience. With one of those you could leave the lights on - but if you walked up to the screen to point something out, it disappeared. (And laser pointers weighed 40 pounds, took 30 minutes to warm up, and required you to wear safety goggles at all times).

Tue Jul 05, 02:13:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

sorry, this does not relate to above entry, but I'm getting 504 Gateway Time-Out error whenever
I access asktom site. Is it down?

Tue Jul 05, 01:37:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

504 Gateway Time-Out

nope, been up continously...

are you inside the oracle firewall or outside the oracle firewall?

Tue Jul 05, 02:08:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Thanks, Tom, for the prompt reply (regarding 504 gateway error). Problem was on my end; I can view the site now. Have a good day.

Wed Jul 06, 01:35:00 PM EDT  


<< Home