Wednesday, June 15, 2005

RSS

RSS is really simple syndication, a way to “publish” new or modified content out.  Asktom has had RSS for quite a while and I’ve had it enabled on this blog since the very beginning.  I’m curious though as to how many people use RSS day to day?

 

Do you use RSS newsfeeds?
Current results

So vote and let’s see what we see.  I had a question on another blog:

 any chance you can give us full text RSS feeds?

This is in regards to the fact that I publish only a bit of the beginning of the blog — not the entire entry via RSS.  I did this for two reasons:

  • I’m curious as to how many people read it – unless the come to the page itself, I cannot get an accurate hit count.  The RSS feed doesn’t have the ability to be counted on blogspot.
  • Other sites aggregate blog entries.  I think it is nicer when there is just a teaser there, with a link to the real page.

So, another poll!  For those of you using RSS new aggregators, would you prefer it if I pumped out the entire page in the feed, or just a teaser?

 

Should the entire blog entry be published in the RSS feed?
Current results

And yes, everyone was right — it was Las Vegas in answer to the “Where in the World”.  My favorite followup was this one.  Got it down to the very hotel I was in first.  Very nice!
POST A COMMENT

11 Comments:

Blogger Niall said....

I don't vote for full feeds, just the teaser. feedburner does give you subscription stats though.

Wed Jun 15, 03:40:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Doug said....

I think the teaser thing works very well. In fact I'd rather that was the case with my own entries on OraBlogs - then people could ignore it if it's some non-Oracle nonsense.

Is there an easy way to change this that I could ask Brian Duff about, or is it something I need to change at source?

Wed Jun 15, 04:08:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I use My Yahoo as the RSS Reader pointing to the aggregator orablogs. So a teaser is more than sufficent. My Yahoo infacts displays only titles. So making the title interesting /controversial is sufficient to pique my interest.

Wed Jun 15, 04:53:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Doug said is there an easy way to change...

It would be from the blog site itself -- on blogspot for example, you log in -> change settings -> site feed -> description = short (although I found it only does short if you pick less than 5 items on the page, but they might have fixed that since I last tried)

Wed Jun 15, 05:10:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Doug said....

Thanks Tom. I don't use blogspot, but I'll play around with that.

Cheers to Anonymous, too! I use My Yahoo and really like orablogs being included. Wish I'd bothered to investigate that sooner.

Wed Jun 15, 05:28:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I use Bloglines to keep up with about 70 blogs. The majority are full feed - even some with ads. I will always choose a full text feed if given the option. This way I can quickly scan the entire article, and if I choose, read the entire entry without having to navigate to your site and deal with whatever latency or layout issues might take away from reading the content. If the content moves me to participate in the discussion, I can then visit and comment.

Those sites who give me "teasers" get read much less frequently as it requires the writer to "grab" me with the with a short sentence or two - often hard to do. Then I have to reach the site and deal with all latency to build your page and put up with the visual noise of a sometimes poor design.

I enjoy the content, and don't need the presentation. Full text feeds make the blog reading experience more efficient and reduces network traffic.

Mark
www.onthemarktech.com

Wed Jun 15, 06:22:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Tim... said....

I like being forced to the site to read the full post. Invariably something else catches my attention that takes me off on a tangent. Makes life a bit more exciting ;-)

Cheers

Tim...

Thu Jun 16, 04:47:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Tim... said....

Anonymous:

I've just had a play with Bloglines. it's pretty cool and saves me checking lots of news feeds like http://www.theregister.com/ and http://slashdot.org/.

Forget my previous post. I'm sold!

Cheers

Tim...

Thu Jun 16, 05:25:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I would assume perhaps .9 page hits per subscriber (assuming sometimes they are busy) - I assume you can count subscribers?

Justin.

Thu Jun 16, 05:33:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Joshua said....

How about you just include an image in each blog post -- perhaps even an invisible dot gif? That image should then be shown in the RSS reader's blog post display, and then you can count the hits on that image. (Or do RSS readers cache all images referenced in posts? That seems unlikely to me...)

Thu Jun 16, 02:06:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Justin and Joshua

Yes, I can count the "pulls" - that is easy, but I cannot tell if they actually are interested enough to read it. Did they just add it and forgot it? Did they used to read it but it got so boring they stopped? I want the real counts.

So, I've decided to keep it as a teaser, if you are interested enough to read it - great, if not, so be it. But at least I'll know.

Thu Jun 16, 02:13:00 PM EDT  

POST A COMMENT

<< Home