Thursday, June 23, 2005

Ok, could YOU do this

Very much off topic. One word, wow - Grandfather kills leopard with his hands

But in a similar thought, this struck home earlier this week, I have a 12 year old boy scout son and cannot imagine what they felt during the multi day search.



Blogger David Aldridge said....

Yes indeed, and I've heard before of this issue that kids will avoid searchers because they are strangers, and they've been taught to stay clear of them. I seem to recall the advice that you establish a code word with your kids, so that the searchers can use it to indicate that the parents are saying "it's OK to go with this person".

Thu Jun 23, 10:48:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Paul said....

Tom -

This also struck a cord with me. I have 4 kids (7, 8, 10, 12) and we enjoying camping and hiking. I have spoken with about buddies, and what to do if they get lost. I happen to be 'neighbor' of yours (Loudoun County) and I live close to the river. I was on a walk the other day down to the river with my family and on the way back my son (7 yrs old) took was running ahead of us and when we looked up he was out of sight. We called, no answer, so my wife said "You - better run after him" (I always get the running jobs) I took off running and was surprised how far I had to go before I could see him. It's amazing how fast 7 year old legs can be. Part of the reason he didn't stop was that he was afraid he was going to get into trouble for running to far ahead. Everything ended up fine, but it was scary for a couple minutes. It did provide an opportunity to talk about safety.

Fri Jun 24, 08:34:00 AM EDT  

Blogger shrek said....

being a former Cubmaster and still being involved in scouting, i can understand what everyone went through. and it's why i always insisted on using the buddy system when the pack went anywhere. and i spent time going over what to do if you're lost. but it's still scary.

as fot the other thing, you know my background. you do whatever you have to do, even when you think you can't.

Fri Jun 24, 12:38:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Joel Garry said....

There is some speculation that the fellow was hiding from the searchers because a previous abduction in the area had caused the general advice to be "be wary of strangers." Also, kids generally take the easy route, down, so the primary search area was down from where he was seen - he was found outside the search area, he went up. Why has not been publicized - parents have said "he is a little slow."

Last year, a boy disappeared from a campground I used to go to. They recently found his remains, speculation is cougar attack. But we may never know.

Check out Jan 8, 2004 at that is near one of my customers... I've seen evidence (tracks) of cougars in my yard.

Fri Jun 24, 03:00:00 PM EDT  

Blogger Bob B said....

Here's another question that might be bloggable (is that a proper adjective now?):

What were you like as a lad and what things did you enjoy doing?

Fri Jun 24, 08:34:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

I was doing a bunch of Boards of Review this week - I asked each boy what they would do in that situation. I hope that one of things they are learning in Scouts is how to handle themselves in the woods (not get lost) and difficult situations (what to do if you do get lost).

But it is hard for the parents. We have a lot of parents who have had a hard time accepting the transition from Cub Scouts (adult led and controlled - planned activities) to Boy Scouts (boy led and managed, with adult oversight - encourage independence). Of course _I_ don't have that problem ;-(


Sat Jun 25, 08:53:00 AM EDT  


<< Home