Friday, June 17, 2005

Back to the beginning

My first entry here was about “toying with blogging”.  In that entry, I was thinking about doing some real debunking – finding the myths out there and bringing them to light.  I referenced the database debunkings site, another site I frequent.  Much to my surprise, Fabian Pascal actually contacted me about that.  That was sort of scary getting that email – at first I was thinking “uh-oh, what did I say wrong :)”.  But it turned out to be a good exchange and part of it has been posted on his site.

In the end, as you know if you’ve been following this blog, I decided not to go down that path.  I will continue to debunk on asktom when the question demands it, but I’m not out there looking.  Although, you don’t have to look too hard to find something not quite “right”.

But anyway, I thought it was pretty cool someone like that got in touch with me, and that he felt is relevant enough to put on his site.

Another update on a past blog.  I think I have beaten them.  The squirrels that is.  Here is a picture of the new bird feeder (I made the pictures small — 21k each — at the expense of quality). 

The neat thing is the wire cage on the outside — it is on springs:

When something heavy, like oh say – a squirrel, gets on it, the cage slides down the the metal flowers cover the holes above each perch:

It took the squirrels about a week to learn “no food here” and I haven’t see them since.  “I win”.  That and this bird feeder seems to attrack a better class of birds too, or maybe that is because the squirrels don’t come around as much (could be false causality, better be careful or someone will start debunking my bird feeder).



Anonymous Doug said....

Oh, dear. What have you done? You'd better keep an eye on those Statcounter figures!

Do you realise the implications this could have for asktom? You might need a seperate button for 'Submit a bird-feeder' question'.

Sat Jun 18, 04:07:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Pratap said....

Patent it :-). I saw a program on Discovery - A full one hour program on how the small creatures defeated the humans who tried so hard to keep them away from the bird feed.

Sat Jun 18, 09:46:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Bob Bunch said....

Already patented, I'm sure ;)

They have these at Lowes or Home Depot.

Sat Jun 18, 10:04:00 AM EDT  

Anonymous Anonymous said....

Tried something simnilar once. It didn't work. The squirrels couldn't get in, so they chewed away at the wire holding it to the branch, then helped themselves when it dropped to the ground.

Sat Jun 18, 10:22:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Thomas Kyte said....

Patent it

Oh -- it is not my design, as others have pointed out, it is available in many stores.

so they chewed away at

If they want to eat that cable to get to the bird seed, I'll let them have it :)

Sat Jun 18, 07:25:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous Martin said....

What a bunch of sissy-squirrels live in your area! ;-)

Mon Jun 20, 07:22:00 AM EDT  

Blogger Alberto Dell'Era said....

I have the same plant you have behind the bird feeder (we call it a "Tuja") in my garden, probably Virginia and Northern Italy climate are similar.

Since you mentioned a lot of humidity, looks like a perfect environment for this plant:

"hydrangea macrophylla"

Colourful big flowers from June to September. And interestingly, you can change their color too - just use a low-ph fertilizer (they become blue), or a high-ph fertilizer (they become pink). As a kid, i used to put iron nails (they turn the soil acid i believe) near them, and watch them turn blue the next season - I was intrigued by this magic (back then :)

Mon Jun 20, 06:22:00 PM EDT  

Anonymous denni50 said....


why not feed both squirrels and
birds???...I do..I buy a bag of
Virginia peanuts and birdseed
every week...everybody eats and
everyone is happy!

Everything gets thrown on a cement
slab in the backyard with old bread
or biscuits, it's fun watching the
squirrels,mice, birds all scrambling around for their food.


Tue Jun 21, 09:30:00 AM EDT  


<< Home